Sunday, April 02, 2006

Dreams of Africa


Since I was four years old I had dreams of going to Africa. I think my years of watching Tarzan and movies like Out of Africa gave me the "romantic" ideas of what "I thought" Africa would be like.

But after three weeks in Kenya, Congo, Rwanda, Uganda and Sudan, reality hit and it hit hard. I went to places most people will never see. I saw poverity, the effects of years and years of war, dispair, orphans fending for themselves and so much more.

Would I go back and do it differently? Would I just do the safari's and nature tours? NO WAY!!!! I was allowed to experience the real, hard, depressing Africa. I got to walk in the shoes, if only for a day, of the people who live there day in and day out.

Now the question remains: What do I do with this experience, with the information I gathered, with the brokenness I saw?

As we walk through the situations of each country, each experience, hopefully we can come up with an answer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cindy Cunningham said...

David,

Thank you for taking the time to read this blog. ALARM, the NGO I work for, has started projects in some of the countries. But as for the children in Northern Uganda... we give food, clothing and pay some of the children's school fees. But the situation there is NOT changing. The only solution is to get them OUT of there.

Appreicate your comment.

cindy

5:50 AM, April 16, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home