Saturday, April 08, 2006

Joyce's story: Congo


"I was raped 2 different times. The first time there were four of us in our home, 3 women and 1 boy. The soldiers came in, killed the boy and sodumized him and then they raped the rest of us.

The second time four soldiers came into my home and each one of them raped me. Shortly afterwards I found out I was pregnant. My husband rejected me because he blames me for being raped and doesn't know if our baby is his or the soldiers baby."

What could I say to this woman, who has shared the most humiliating story with us, she feels guilt, violated, ashamed, and yet she is holding her baby in her arms. I just sat and wept with her.

She is only one story of over 26,000 "reported" rapes in this city alone. Many of the women contract HIV from the soldiers, which just intensify the problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home